I was afraid to set up too many expectations for today. For one, obviously, because of my mom. But for another, because it was my first. So a few days back I let go and just decided to not worry about it and let the day roll. My goals were simple: enjoy my new family, cherish my daughter, see what Mother's Day feels like - for me.
We went to brunch down the street, swung in swings at the park and took several naps. It was wonderfully relaxing and felt so indulgent. (Important disclosure: the wickedly naughty cocktail at 10 am brunch didn't hurt.) And I liked how complete strangers and neighbors tell you "Happy Mothers Day". It's a unique and lovely recognition.
Just a really great day. And a great lesson. I didn't think about the past, I didn't worry about the future. No coulda/shoulda stuff. I just concentrated on the sweet smile of my baby girl, her peaches and cream breath, and the joy on the face of my husband as she grabbed at his scratchy beard while cuddled in his arms.
It's all good.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
No thinking = Great Mother's Day. Who knew?
Posted by
JLA
at
9:05 PM
Labels: Mom, Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds like a wonderful day! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's a totally different experience as the "mother". Who knew I would be so excited about a canvas tote bag with paint splatters and two handprints?! It's the best present Willem's ever given me, even better to see the pride on his face when I opened it. Those are the special moments to remember.
Post a Comment