Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mother's Day

Obviously I knew Mother's Day would be hard. I've been bracing myself, actually. But it comes at you from everywhere. One unavoidable reminder -- for the last few days I've been getting spam emails reminding me that I should tell my mom how much I love her, or should make sure to send her flowers, etc. So it's been a big week of wincing and unsubscribing.

I got a piece of great advice from my friend Heidi though. She suggested I take the money I would have spent on a gift for mom and buy myself something she would have wanted me to have. I still had the gift certificate she gave me for Christmas too, so I took that and combined it with the money I would have spent on her and bought an outrageously expensive pair of sunglasses with a little more glam than I normally would be into. (My mom LOVED glam. She was a Joan Collin's lovin' big gold wearing glam queen.) AND I got 25% off by charming the guy behind the counter, which she would have enjoyed. It was pretty fun.

So even though I was quite happy with my purchase, when I got to the car I burst into tears. Normally at that moment I would call her to tell her how I spent the gift card. But no.

It washes over you suddenly. You breathe and then you move on. Or in my case, I called my sister and she helped me breathe and move on.

I've been taking a lot of comfort in the fact that my last Mother's Day gift to my mom was (and this is her words) her "best ever". Last year on Mother's Day I told my mom I was pregnant. She was the happiest I've ever heard her.

So I'm just going to focus on that. Best ever.


Mom and Me. My last picture with her. My shower. October 2008.

3 comments:

Emily Anne said...

As I was scrolling down reading your heart-wrenching post, I noticed Audball in the previous picture. I was struck by the resemblance between her face and your mom's. Pretty cool.

Jays said...

Happy first Mother's Day, Jeanne. I hope you can find happiness in the day.

Beth said...

I love you.