Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Sisters are Special. Aunts are Scary.

My sister is on day 4 with us and Aud is still screaming every time she picks her up. Not a little whimpery cry either. She does a full blown OH GOD NO! HOW COULD YOU?! howl when Cheryl tries to hold her.

I don't get it. Apparently Aud has stranger danger for all men, plus her aunt. So odd.

Anyway, this minor hiccup hasn't stopped me from taking advantage of C being here. If she just sits on the floor with her and doesn't touch her while she plays, Audball can deal with her for a little while, which is all this momma needs to get a nice shower in without stress. I even shaved my legs people! My child's psychological health be damned.

Apart from the baby's misery, we've managed to have a nice visit. There have been some good laughs and smiles and also some moments where we both miss my mom. Yesterday actually, my sister mentioned how seeing the baby and playing with her makes her wish my mom was with us. It occurred to me I used to think that way a lot too. Your heart and your logical mind go powerfully out of synch when you experience loss. You ache for fantasies of what could have been. But they were never going to be. After all, if she were still alive, mom would be 2000 miles away and wouldn't see the baby regularly. And I wouldn't think twice about it. But instead I miss her every day as if she lived next door and we were best friends.

Deep breath. Change of topic...

In other more classic "sister-moment" news, C also announced that now that mom's gone it's my job to arrange her wedding. At that point I did my best to channel mom when I said, "Yea, really? Get busy trying to land a man, would ya?"

No comments: