Of course I'd suddenly need to go on a business trip when Henry was teeny tiny. Of course.
So yeah, not long ago I hauled my hormonal post-partem butt out to LA for two days and faced something I've never had to deal with before: pumping breast milk at work.
Holy crap, what a pain in the ass.
And holy crap, do businesses *not get it.*
On the first day, not wanting to make a fuss (and, as an only-in-town-for-two-days-consultant, not really knowing anyone I could fuss to) I thought I could find a quiet room, sneak in, and do my business. So I took a lap around the office and looked for a room with a door that locked and found nothing. Instead I ended up ducking into the bathroom. But I had to do it a couple times during the day. This was problematic in a couple of ways: for one, the bathroom experience was just plain gross and awkward, and more importantly, it completely shut down my productivity. For a good 15-20 minutes I couldn't do anything except stand there (eeewwwh, I wasn't going to sit!) and pump.
My type A brain couldn't take it. Thanks to fancy pumping technology, if I had a decent set up, I could be checking email! I could be making phone calls! I could be WORKING.
So I went to my primary contact at the company (who happened to be the President) and I made my case. I explained that he was paying me by the hour, and when I had to duck away to the bathroom to pump he was losing time and money. If I had a room with a lock, and, even better - a computer, I could work while pumping. And doesn't he want that?
Once we got past the initial two minutes of awkwardness he actually listened, and get this -- seemed interested. We discussed the number of minutes it took and how many times a day I needed to do it, and then he asked me to guess how many women at the company were probably pumping in any given year. (With 60% of women breastfeeding these days, and much of his workforce in childbearing years, it was a decent amount.) You could see the numbers cranking away in his head.
There's a business case for everything, people.
They found me a room, and I worked and pumped. And I suspect (or at least hope) in the future other women at the company will now be encouraged to do the same thing.
By the way - hats off to you ladies who pump at work regularly. Warrior women, I tell you.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
The Business Case for a Mother's Room
Posted by
JLA
at
9:29 PM
Labels: Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I went back to work full time for a month after Maggie was born. I was lucky that Overture had a mother's room already set up, and it was pretty nice. Can't imagine how it would have worked without that room--I probably would have quit even sooner!
As it was, after trying to get the company to agree to reduced hours, job sharing, or anything...and they wouldn't budge...I left. And then they hired me back to do freelance.
Post a Comment