I use the word "barn" because that's our new friend Bill, the garage contractor, shared with us when he came over a couple weeks ago. What he said was, "Ma'am, I don't think that's a garage you got there. I think that's a barn. There are a few left in this area and occasionally I see one. Yea, I think it's a 1-horse barn."
Alrighty. Pursuant to our orders from Allstate, the barn had to go. (Incidentally when we told our neighbor it was coming down she said, "Let me know when so I can enjoy a glass of wine and watch." *That's* how good our barn was looking these days.)
First Mr. Anderson and his dad removed the siding and sheathing from the walls. At least the walls they could reach (the south side of the barn was covered with weeds and protected by yellow jackets.)
Then my FIL brought out the love of his life, his chainsaw, to prep the posts for falling.
In the center of the barn was a lally column. For those of you not familiar that's a single column that jacks the whole structure up when the poor sad thing can't support itself. Pull it out or take a wack at it and the whole thing goes down. At least theoretically. The guys tried pulling it with a rope. Nothing happened. Then they decided to try wacking it (via a plank) with a sledgehammer.
Hahahahaa. So the lally column was kicked out, but the thing still stood! Only one way it was going to go down...
One might question whether it was worth it. In the end the guys were filthy, exhausted, sore, and the truth is we could have paid someone to do it for very little dough. But look at the smiles on theses faces...
Sunday, September 10, 2006
(Long Overdue) Barn Update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's trick photography, I tell you...There are still no feet to prove this happened!
JSH
Sorry I missed this one. Does that make me the second love of his life?
You know, Justin read that and wondered about it too. Realistically it's probably 1) You 2) Ozzie and 3) The chainsaw, but you could probably switch 2 and 3 depending on whether or not Ozzie was being a good dog at any given time. :-)
Mere yellowjackets cannot stop the unending power of the love between a man and his chainsaw. Let that be a lesson to us all.
Marc
Post a Comment