Friday, August 29, 2008

Obama 08


Yep, that's me. At the acceptance speech. With the baby. I've been hosting an Obama intern in my Denver apartment and at the last minute she found a ticket for me.

I've never been in an environment like that before -- where young and old, white and black and rich and poor were all truly united. Everyone smiled at each other in the lines. When you went to sit down, people introduced themselves to you and shook your hand. There were a lot of pictures being taken and stories being traded. It was as if we all understood we were about to experience this once in a lifetime event together, so, you know -- let's be friends. At least for today. And maybe maybe, if this guy gets elected... our kids will never think this vibe is so unique.

During the speech I consciously tried to be in the moment. At one point I looked up into the crowd and noticed that several people were choosing to stand rather than sit, even though we were all the way up in the highest seats. And then I saw the vast majority of people standing were black men. Some holding their sons. All of them staring in awe. I got choked up. As wonderful as it was, I realized it wasn't my moment, it was theirs. I was so happy for them. To witness history in this way is such a gift. Despite an aching back, swollen feet and a 1 hour wait in line, I was so incredibly proud to be there.

No comments: